I originally wrote this birth plan in 2007 for my first birthing experience. The biggest change was making “we” into “I” and “our” into “my”. Heart-wrenching, I know. At least I have a detailed birth plan and I won’t have to worry about being misunderstood.
Jet’s Birth Plan
I am delighted to be sharing this experience with you, the birth of my third daughter. I have done everything in my power to prepare for an uncomplicated, low-intervention, vaginal birth, and healthy baby. Though I am fully aware that situations may arise during labor and delivery which could result in my desires for this experience to go unfulfilled, I have created this birth plan in hopes of being as involved and informed as possible, maintaining a pleasant atmosphere for everyone.
Listed below are my desires for the various stages of this experience. Thank you for all of your assistance, patience, expertise, and support!
*My daughters have spent my entire pregnancy learning about birth, babies, and what it will mean to have a new sister. They are very excited to be a part of the birth and as long as they are handling things well and behaving themselves I would like them to be allowed to stay with me throughout this experience.*
- Room equipped with tub, birthing ball, and squatting bar. Same room for delivery.
- I do not consent to artificial induction, augmentation of labor, enema, or shaving of pubic hair.
- Freedom of movement, bathroom usage, choice of music and lighting.
- Avoidance of internal fetal monitoring, continuous external monitoring, and vaginal examinations.
- Portable IV if usage becomes necessary.
- Allowed to wear contact lenses, suck on ice chips, drink water, and try different positions.
- I do not consent to any medications (pitocin, epidural, general anesthetic) apart from local anesthetic if stitching a tear (but please ask me for my permission before applying local anesthesia or stitching me).
- Avoid episiotomy. Try massaging, hot compress, or perineum support.
- Freedom of position choices (gravity enhancing), music, and breathing method.
- No “directed” (officious) coaching, allow me to trust the instincts of my body.
- Avoid, at all costs, cesarean section, vacuum extraction and/or use of forceps.
- I do not consent to the attendance of non-essential personnel or phone calls.
- I would like to hold my baby immediately.
- Please wait to clamp the cord until it stops pulsating, give my daughters the opportunity to cut the cord.
- I would like to breastfeed immediately after delivery.
- Apgar and any other tests/procedures can be performed while I hold her.
- I do NOT consent to ANY eye drops being used on my baby.
- I ask that I be allowed to assist with Baby’s weighing and bathing in my room.
- I do NOT consent to the vitamin K shot, suctioning, or ANY vaccinations.
- I will encourage spontaneous delivery of the placenta stimulated by breastfeeding.
- I would like to keep my placenta if it is intact.
- Please allow me freedom of movement after birth, with assistance immediately following.
- If my baby needs to be warmed, please let my abdomen be the place, avoid infant warmer.
- If Baby somehow happens to be male, I do NOT consent to a circumcision.
*I plan to breastfeed exclusively. I do not consent to my baby being given any bottles, pacifiers, formula, or water without my approval.*
*I do not consent to my baby being given any medications without my approval.*
*I do NOT consent to any separation from my baby without my approval.*
*In the event that my baby is not well I would like to be as involved as possible with her care.
*In the event of an emergency cesarean section I would like to be kept awake.
*I would like to be released from the birthing facility as soon as possible.
Once again, I am delighted to share this experience. Thank you for your support 🙂
Nine weeks to go!